Saturday, June 22, 2013

Family Matters

This week in class we discussed stress. Stress is something that I need to work on controlling. But some stress is good. I do not see what stress is good but I guess it is true. Our discussions mainly were on family stress and how to cope with that. We talked about ABC-X model. A is the actual events, B is both the resources and responses, C is the cognition- so they way you interpret the event, and X is the whole experience. There is another model that we talked about which is the double ABC-X model. So the first experience helps you go through a similar situation again. I really like these models. I feel that my family can greatly benefit from these models. There is a big stress in my family. This stress is that my mother is an alcoholic. I believe that my family does not use the resources that we have. We definitely do not cope well with this fact either. My teacher told us that people said that one of the best strategies to cope is to change the values and prospective. This is so that they can see things in a different way. I am not sure what the best way to cope with my mothers situation. I have tried different things but you can not help someone who does not want to be helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment