Sunday, July 14, 2013

Parenting

I love this topic. Growing up and still this day I really want to be a mother. In class this week we discussed a lot about parenting. I believe we as members  have a purpose to raise God's children. Other purposes are that we raise children to grow and learn, to love like Christ does, attachment, to have a taste of creation, and to have joy and happiness. My teacher said being parents gives us an opportunity to have a steep learning curve. I agree with this statement a lot. There were a set of videos that we watched called PETS. Parent Effectiveness Training System, this was put together by Micheal Popkin. He talks about Active Parenting and defines the roles parenting. He says the purposes of parenting are to protect, and prepare our children to survive and thrive. There is also four ballast characteristics to parenting which are; courage, responsibility, cooperation, and respect. These are all things that parents need to teach our children. We also discussed doctrine in the scriptures that pertains to parents and life. Alma 36-42 have profound teachings about life. The Book of Mormon has references for things for parents to do, examples of parents,  and how the Father and Jesus Christ respond to children. As members we have many resources to go to when becoming parents and when we are parents. I am truly grateful for this gospel and the opportunities it has given me and it will continue to give me.

No comments:

Post a Comment